My employment history (no, this is not my CV)

We heard the HOD leaving the company for few months already. But nobody in the department actually have the courage to confront him and ask whether it's true or not. We have love hate relationship with him. Sometimes he's so caring, sometimes so mean. I usually stay neutral but there is one incident which made me bitter towards him. Well, since he'll be saying goodbye, I might as well forget it and wish him well.


I've met many bosses before, of course I have worked for more than 10 years in a 4 different companies. My first workplace, Perwaja, located in chukai, terengganu was such an educational field to me. I worked in steel making plant and my day to day job is just to monitor and report to my boss on any abnormalities and work with her on troubleshooting. There were quite a handful of Mexican expats in the office. Blond, blue-eyed..sighhh..pleasing to the eyes. But none of them are single. However, some of them acted like they are not, well, men! During my 2 years there, I did enjoy my time, though I had some serious discussion with my colleagues on reporting the company to the Labor Dept since this company made us work for 6 days, more than 40 hours a week. However, we got demotivated when meeting the HR people who says " you think Labor Dept doesn't know? how long has PERWAJA been in operation?". So, I was very determine to leave the company.


Then I got an offer from MMC Kerteh. An oil and gas consultant. I had no idea what business they are in. I just know that the office is in Kerteh, somewhat half an hour ride from Chukai. My friend Ija, who works for another rival consultant company heard of the vacancy and ask me to apply. I applied and went for the interview. Even though I have 2 years experience, I was still considered a graduate engineer since I never had any consultation background before. They offered higher salary than Perwaja (well, to tell the truth, Perwaja didn't pay that much, my salary was below the graduate engineer salary range) so I grabbed it.  But my boss in Perwaja was sad me going. We are more like sisters than staff-boss, but decisions had been made.


I worked with MMC for 3 years. The first year I was in KL office, getting myself familiar with design works since I will be the only Process Engineer in Kerteh office. When I went back to Kerteh office, then I decided I need a car because I no longer have the luxury of company transportation. I also stay in kerteh and not in Chukai because of the distance. It was only 10 of us in kerteh office when I started working there. we have so much free time because we did not have any project at hand. Up until few months in the office, did we start get busy. Really busy that more people are hired. In Kerteh also, I was the only engineer in my department, hence I have to do a lot of things myself including making the decision on the design and all. which should be under lead or senior role, but we have none here. I guess that's how I grow really fast in this industry. Though I would say, there are few decisions and things that I did which I regret, there is no way for me amend it now, and I have to make it a lesson learnt. There are few times I have to send my report to my boss in KL for them to approve but sometimes it just took so long and I have to bypass them as checker because of tight schedule.After 3 years there, I decided to work closer to my hometown, and that's when DPS came knocking at my door.


DPS was still a new company when I joined. I still remember that it was my ex colleague in MMC that actually suggested me to apply for a post here. I got in. Although MMC and DPS are both consultant but the work is different. I thought I have learnt whatever that need to be learnt with MMC but boy I was wrong. The task here is different, the scope is different, the report is different. well, not much different but everything here is on larger scale. And more details. I can say that even with 10 years working experience in Kerteh office, you are still below par with people working  5 years in KL office. And I have to catch up fast. Process team is a small team, less than 10 people. So, when we got a big project, we are overwhelm. I don't even have checker for my task though I took one of the most difficult and have never done before. I feel helpless. I work more than 40 hours a week to get task completed. And only pray I get it right. But along the way, I learn my mistakes. My colleagues here is definitely one of the best colleagues I had.


Working in DPS is fine. And it was not even 2 years here when I got another job offer from RWP. I took it, knowing RWP can help me become a better engineer with their structured working culture. And I have been working for them since the last 6 years. Amazing, isn;t it? There was one time, before leaving MMC, my ex boss asked me to join RWP in another site office but I refused because I hate them since it is rival company with MMC. I prefer to take DPS offer. Well, seems that I was really destined to work in RWP, and for such a long time. well, partly maybe because of the low oil price which makes me stay. But really, RWP is simply the best out of other consultant I have worked before. And the long years has forged a very good bond between me and my colleagues. Here, in RWP I have colleagues from all races and we work well together.


I don't know what the future gonna be. I don't know how long will I be in this company. I just hope the future is bright enough for everyone in this industry

Comments

Popular Posts